Friday, October 15, 2010

The Way We Were

Today is the last day of my maternity leave and I'm heartbroken. Even being able to take Andrew with me to work and being able to work from home does not make up for this hurt.

I doubt it would be easier in a month or two, but it just seems extra awful because he's just one month old. I don't have a lot more to say about this that isn't better articulated through tears. I just want to be a full-time mommy a little longer. I'll never get this time back.

Tangential story to distract me: Matt and I watched a Hoarders the other day and the therapist made the hoarder lady repeat "I'll never get their childhood back" until she dissolved into tears. Her kids were in high school and she was still hoarding the equivalent of their Sofie the giraffe x a million. I don't want to be like that lady! I better quit...







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Zay said...

I cannot even describe fully the hurt I felt when I had to go back to work and leave my little one behind. It's a tough world for a working mom.

Jo said...

I spent the week before going back to work doubled over with waves of sobbing. It is the hardest thing I've ever done. Right up there with leaving South Africa. I don't like it. Not one bit.

So many women at work would say stuff like, "You'll get used to it" and, "Max will be fine." They weren't wrong, but I feel like this sort of stuff just maintains the status quo where we live in a rich country that doesn't value children and the work of parenting enough to secure a humane amount of maternity/paternity leave for citizens.

I send you a big, huge hug Mama Team!

KB said...

I'm so, so sorry. I remember that feeling when I had to leave Phoenix. It doesn't seem fair.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com