Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Hunger Alarm

When I was getting married, my friend Marcella hosted a "round-the-clock" wedding shower for me, wherein each guest is assigned an hour of the day and their gift can be in the spirit of that time of day. My mom got 7 a.m. and gave me a really nice nightgown and lavendar spa mitts and slippers and her card read "For my darling daughter, who I have rarely seen at 7 a.m." And that's God's honest truth. I don't really like to get up early, despite knowing its good for me (or some b.s. like that). These days though, I find I am more and more of a morning person thanks to my early bedtime (getting earlier every night!) and my built-in hunger alarm.

What's that? Why it's my very growly, very cranky stomach that protests violently when it's not fed at regular intervals. And it's not like "Oh, I'm slightly hungry, but I'll just fall back asleep and get to it later." No, it's more like "GET UP NOW OR DEATH IS IMMINENT!" Molly enjoys this because I let her out early and she can lie in wait for the squirrels to come out in the morning. MRT likes this because I bring him a hot cup of coffee to bed, even though I can't drink it myself. (My food aversions including coffee, most sweets, cheese, Mexican food, etc. break my heart! I don't know who I am anymore!)I do not really like this, but a banana, a slice of peanut butter toast, and a glass of milk later, I have finally silenced my hunger alarm. Or at least hit snooze for an hour or so when I can eat a granola bar or yes, sometimes 5-10 handfuls of nuts.

The only thing I REALLY dislike is I never know what time it's set for, though it's always well before 7. It really smarts when it's set for 4:30 a.m. But it's now 11:15 a.m. and the first lunch alarm is going off, so I better see what I can throw down my gullet to prevent mutiny.

Geez, I just re-read this and it is a real snoozer. Sorry y'all. I am desperately out of practice on the blog front and it may take some time for that old Job Rants-esque hilarity to emerge. Only problem is I am not yet outraged. But if nausea persists into absurd months, don't worry: I'll be plenty outraged to say words against Nancy.

P.S. How come everyone thinks my baby is a boy? I am just sure it's a girl! Well, as sure as you can be using only smelly hippy intuition.

2 comments:

Zay said...

I think it's a boy because of that appetite, girl! :)

I never really hit the whole I'M HUNGRY! NOW GET IN MY BELLY! type of phase until this very last part of my pregnancy. Now I'm hungry for most of the day. I think Olivia is trying to plump up some more before she makes her debut.

Chrissy said...

Nathan sometimes wakes in the middle of the night to eat because he's starving, but I am like 99% sure he's never been pregnant. :)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com