As some of you know, MRT and I have decided that we would really like to use a midwife to deliver our baby, if all systems are normal and go, as we fully expect they will be. (Although, Chay is convinced Baby MRT is twins. I think this is mostly because she's seen me eating lately.)
Unfortunately, Nacogdoches is not exactly on the cutting edge of either modern new agey hippies who prefer midwifery (like me) or even on the old times edge of people who preferred midwifery because they had not yet been convinced that birthing is terrifying and dangerous and would rather do it at home as well as not. So as I was searching my options for midwives, I learned that there are about 5 in town, all located at the UTMB clinic. Score! I made an appointment.
That appointment was yesterday at 9 a.m. Matt and I arrived at about 8:40 a.m. to find the huddles masses already filling every chair in the large waiting room, and the hallway, too. It turns out that in Nacogdoches, midwifery, the services for which are typically less expensive than that of an OB/GYN, is indigent care. My 9 a.m. appointment was really more of a suggestion than anything firm and the cost I would have to pay to attend this healthcare cattle call was going to be exorbitant, since I did not qualify for free services. What?! Soon I was acutely aware of the incessant drone of sneezing, coughing, and general illness around me and I got the heck out of dodge.
After I canceled my appointment, I consoled myself with a very large breakfast from McDonald's (no judging necessary). Yes, Baby MRT and I are already alike in that we can take even very disappointing news much better after hash browns and hot cakes. But the search for who will help bring MRT 3 (or is it 4 if you count Molly? she's more of a straight MT gal, though) into this world continues...
Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hrm. Well, that was the reason why I stopped going to UTMB. They basically stated they stopped seeing all peops with insurance. However, I could still make appts. there if I wanted to pay like 175 dollars for a pap smear so I said, "No, thank you!"
I didn't realize in Nac midwife = indigent care. How disappointing. :(
Yes, that is bizarre indeed! I hope you find a birthing method that will work for you in Nacogdoches. Luckily you've got a little less than nine months to figure it out! So thoughtful of Baby MRT! :)
That's frustrating. Why don't you just move on up here for the birth? I could totally hook you up.
Fie! Perhaps one of these midwives could be persuaded to freelance? Good luck Team MRT! I'm certain you'll find just the person.
Post a Comment